What’s your default reaction to stressful situations? Do you tend to automatically think that everything will be okay, or do you immediately start to imagine all the things that could go wrong? If it’s the latter, then you may be surprised to learn about the power of your thoughts and how they can affect your health. This article explores the ways in which your thoughts can affect your mind and body and explains how you can use this knowledge to improve your life.
How do thoughts affect the mind?
Thoughts can affect the mind in two ways. First, thoughts can make a person feel good or bad, depending on how they are interpreted. If someone interprets a thought as positive, they will most likely feel happy or satisfied. On the other hand, if someone interprets their thoughts as negative, they may feel sad or angry.
The second way that thoughts can affect the mind is by influencing what people say to themselves when they don’t know what to say. For example, when an individual is trying to decide whether or not to go into a room where they know they have been rejected before, he might say something like You don’t want to go in there because you might get rejected again. When this happens, these kinds of thoughts could keep someone from entering the room and engaging with others who could be friends. Another reason why it is important to control one’s thoughts is that they can influence actions and emotions.
Our emotions are not separate entities from us they are an active part of our body-mind & soul. Whenever you suffer from emotional and mental stresses, your physical health is also affected. Your spirits are raised only if you are mentally and emotionally fit. Researchers reveal that if stresses are never balanced then you can suffer from many physical distresses which are linked to your state of mind. When people are depressed, anxious, stressed, or grief-stricken then their lives are in danger. Mental and emotional stresses affect your personal relationships and work abilities.
Mental And Emotional Health
Emotional health problems can be due to traumas and serious losses in the early phases of life. Social conditions in which a person lives are the most important characteristic of good mental and emotional health. Feelings of disgust are usually developed due to negative thoughts and even sometimes because of the side effects of medications. There are various genetic and bio-medical causes of which are responsible for emotional stresses.
A person with good mental and emotional health must have the following characteristics
- A healthy person always possesses a sense of contentment and well-being. One must have the ability to enjoy life and have fun. An emotionally healthy person always has a zest of living, laughing, and enjoying along with others.
- You should keep up spirits high and must be capable to deal with the stresses of life. The ability to fight back even in adverse conditions is a must.
- With the help of positive relationships and meaningful activities, an emotionally healthy person participates in experiences of life to a complete extent. The feeling of self-realization is a must in person.
- The presence of good mental health means the ability to grow, change, and experiences different aspects as one faces different circumstances in life. You must make yourself flexible in order to deal with the ordeals of life.
- Another important characteristic of good emotional health is the ability to strike balance in different aspects of life. You must be social as well as remain in solitude with your loved ones. One must have the ability to work and play simultaneously. Similarly catering all your daily physical and emotional needs of exercising rest and sleep.
- There should be an intellectual development of your health, spirit, body, mind, and soul. A sense of well-roundedness and creativity is a must.
- A person who is emotionally and mentally healthy always shows concern for others. He or she has the ability to take care of his own and other closed ones. A person must have good self-esteem and self-confidence in order to remain physically and mentally active.
Changing Unwanted Thoughts
Oftentimes, it’s the thoughts we don’t want to have that keep coming back, time and time again. There are a couple of different things you can do in order to get rid of unwanted thoughts. One thing is using an affirmation such as I am strong or I am beautiful every time a thought comes up. The other strategy is to distract yourself by doing something else like reading or going for a walk. These strategies can be used at any time- even when you’re lying awake at night. Practice these methods and soon enough, your mind will be clear of any thoughts you don’t want to have.
Creating Reality With Our Thoughts
It is often said that our thoughts create our reality, meaning whatever we focus on in our thoughts will manifest in our lives. This is not always true. For example, if someone focuses on being terrified about something that hasn’t happened yet, this person may not experience the fear until the event actually takes place. However, it is absolutely true that what we think about can affect how we feel or even what happens to us. Let’s say you have a big presentation coming up at work. You might tell yourself things like I am going to be so nervous, I’ll never be able to do this, or Everyone is going to laugh at me. All of these are very negative statements that would cause any individual an enormous amount of anxiety, but these same statements could also manifest as physical symptoms such as nausea, trembling hands, etc.
So, next time you find yourself thinking negatively, stop and redirect your thoughts. Think about all of the positive things that might happen rather than all of the bad ones. Tell yourself I am going to do really well or Everyone is going to love my speech.
ALSO READ:: TIPS TO OVERCOME NEGATIVE THOUGHTS
Strong, pure, and happy thoughts build up the body in vigor and grace. The body is a delicate instrument, which responds readily to the thoughts by which it is impressed, and habits of thought will produce their own effects, good or bad, upon the body.
“Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that’s very important for good health. ” Dalai Lama
So if you want to protect your body, guard your mind. If you want to renew your body, beautify your mind. Thoughts of anger, envy, disappointment, and despondency rob the body of its health and grace. A sour face does not come by chance; it is made by sour thoughts.
There is no physician-like cheerful thought for dissipating the ills of the body; there is no comforter to compare with goodwill for dispersing the shadows of grief and sorrow. To live continually in thoughts of ill will, cynicism, suspicion, and envy, is to be confined in a self-made prison hole. But to think well of all, to be cheerful with all, to patiently learn to find the good in all such unselfish thoughts are the very portals of heaven and to dwell day by day in thoughts of peace toward every creature will bring abounding peace to their possessor.
ALSO READ:: POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS