If you want more out of your life, then increasing self-motivation is essential. Motivation in our life makes a big influence. This article, explains the most essential steps, that help to motivate yourself.
But first of all, let’s talk about the definition of motivation and what does determine motivation.
The definition of motivation in the directory is “internal and external factors that stimulate desire and energy in people to be continually interested in and committed to a job, role, or subject and to exert persistent effort in attaining a goal.”
Difference between Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation
Motivation is like the force that helps us to reach our desires and especially intrinsic motivation determines our successful achievements.
Let’s check out the differences between the two types of motivation. After you read this short explanation, you will understand the power of internal motivation.
There are two types of motivation – intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic – enjoyment and interest in an activity, it is a true wish to act and Extrinsic – comes from outside and we want to reach something because we want to achieve an external reward.
The strongest and durable motivation is intrinsic. According to scientists J.Spence and R. Helmreich, internal motivation determines successful achievements, whereas extrinsic motivation doesn’t stimulate them. Ant this shows again how it is important to do what you like and enjoy what you do.
Also, a clear and exact understanding and awareness of what you want out of life help to improve internal motivation. It would be hard to motivate yourself when you don’t know what you want to reach in your life. Our goals of life make a big influence on our motivation.
When we set clear, specific, and realistic goals we can increase our motivation.
Motivation associates with enthusiasm and activity. Because when we have a strong motivation to achieve a purpose we put a lot of effort, also we spend a lot of time on it. And conversely, if we have a weak motivation if we don’t know what we want out of life when it would be hard to stay motivated.
Personal values and better self-knowledge determine our self-motivation. In order to motivate yourself, first, what you have to do is better understand yourself. It is most important to increase self-knowledge. Try to understand what are your goals? What is the most important to you?
The most in life can achieve that person who knows and understand himself.
Now let’s discover methods that help to increase self-motivation:
Self-motivation is the desire to achieve that which you believe is of worth. Therefore, staying motivated is significant to the achievement of whatever you set to achieve. Finding that edge for self-motivation is requires effort, for which the following ways are necessary:
- Develop a plan: Someone said: “failing to plan is planning to fail.” You’ve got to have plans for achieving your desired intent. No one builds a house for instance without first calculating the cost and what it will take before construction begins. Likewise when you are in pursuit of a worthy endeavor. Self-motivation requires that you make a list of all the things that you can possibly do and develop an action plan to get your task done from start to finish. What, when, with, and how to should all be part of the process of coming out with a plan that will ensure self-motivation.
- Passion: Earl Nightingale remarked, “The more intensely we feel about an idea or a goal, the more assuredly the idea, buried deep in our subconscious, will direct us along the path to its fulfillment.” This can’t be further from the truth. Passion is pivotal for self-motivation and comes as a result of the conviction that you can have what you desire, a critical ingredient in the process of self-motivation. Passion is the obsessive desire backed by the knowledge of what you want to achieve and to see to its successful accomplishment
- Know what you want: The best part of self-motivation is to know exactly what you want out of life. There will be a substance that will keep you motivated without the knowledge of what it is you want. To reiterate, we often assume that most people know exactly what they want out of life, but that is not always the case. This by itself is a factor for lack of motivation. It is imperative that you are crystal clear about what you want out of life and no matter what it takes to accomplish it your self-motivation is guaranteed through the process of achieving it.
- Self-talk: Self-motivation is ignited when your inner conversations are positive. Consequently, you have to watch out for those inner conversations that can demotivate you. Ensure that your inner conversation is empowering and will build your confidence and self-esteem.
- Goal setting: “If you’re bored with life – you don’t get up every morning with a burning desire to do things – you don’t have enough goals.” Lou Holtz. Setting daily, weekly or monthly goals will help you allocate and know how your time is spent and how much you can accomplish. Your day and activities will not be clustered this, in turn, helps a great deal with your self-motivation
- Vision. If you want to increase motivation in attaining a goal, you have to visualize the ultimate result of that goal.
- Pay attention. Focus on your goals. Every day does something that helps to achieve your goals. It helps to increase motivation when you focus on your goal.
- Stay optimist. Even in bad situations try to see something positive.
I think these methods are the most essential that help to increase self-motivation. I used them in my daily life and they help me a lot to stay motivated. And I hope that these methods will be useful and helpful for you! Enjoy your life